Date: 16th September 2014 at 9:44pm
Written by:

Birmingham lined up with Donaldson and Thomas up front with Shea and Cotterill to play down the wings. Edgar and Grounds were the centre of the defence after Grant Hall was ruled out. Koby Arthur also missed out after his recall due to a tight hamstring.

The first opening of the game fell to the home side. Donaldson with the opportunity from 18 yards, he shot high and wide. Wednesday managed to get closer to breaking the deadlock, 8 minutes in, Jacques Maghoma forced a save from Darren Randolph and then Atdhe Nuhiu flicked wide.

Wes Thomas was again getting headed chances. He headed over from David Cotterill`s corner. Blues again threatened, Thomas with the early cross, Donaldson got his shot in but it was blocked.

Brek Shea rippled the side netting of the goal next. Some good play and he fired his shot just wide. The game had shaped up pretty evenly up until this point. Birmingham then went very close, Paul Caddis struck the post with a powerful shot.

Wednesday had their keeper to thank for stopping the next shot, Robinson`s long ball found Thomas but Westwood was out to block. The teams went in at 0-0 after Birmingham had edged the first half in terms of chances.

Just after half time Birmingham were caught on the break. Chris Maguire fired over from 20 yards. Wednesday again tested Randolph shortly after. Maguire forced Randolph into pushing the ball into danger, Nuhiu rattled the post from the rebound.

With 54 minutes gone Lee Clark changed things. Demarai Gray replaced Brek Shea. It was Sheffield Wednesday that took the lead. Stevie may cut inside and fired past Randolph on 67 minutes.

The pressure remained on Birmingham. Drenthe teed up Maghoma who shot his attempt over. Birmingham had a chance to equalise but for a heroic block by Semedo in the area to deny Robinson.

Sheffield Wednesday held the ball well and looked comfortable as the clock reached 85 minutes. With the game reaching its end Wednesday hit Blues again. Helan slots home from a Maguire`s cross.

The game ended in a disappointing 2-0 defeat for Lee Clark`s men after looking good in the first half. Wednesday had the quality to put Blues to the sword and pick up all three points.