Date: 29th September 2014 at 6:37pm
Written by:

Despite an early sending off, the Blues held on for a point in what was, a close encounter against Charlton Athletic.

Straight from the kick off Alan Thompson`s side showed that they were not going to be beaten without a fight. Trialist Ricardo Da Silva`s hit a 20-yard shot which Nick Pope did well to smother.

Duffy who caused all sorts of problems for the Addicks defence was felled after 15 minutes in the penalty area. Duffy picked himself up and placed a powerful shot into the bottom left hand corner. The ‘keeper had no chance.

The young Blues were 1-0 up.

Charlton’s keeper was having a busy game. Duffy again with a shot, this time Pope kept it out.

Having stood firm against a few attacks by the opposition, it was Charlton`s turn to attack. Thirty minutes into the game Callum Herriott tried to bend the ball into the top right hand corner. It was a whisker away.

Duffy was proving to be a handful. He was brought down on the edge of the box and Pope yet again made the save. This time, to deny Gleeson.

Colin Doyle matched his opposite number just before half time. He sprinted off his line to deny Simon Church a goal scoring opportunite.

On the stroke of half time, Shinnie was booked for a foul on the ‘keeper. A needless foul that proved costly.

Shinnie, having just been booked, came out for the second half and performed a ridiculous dive to earn him a second yellow and an early bath.

James Fry, who is on loan at Leamington as well, superbly crossed the ball in. Webb was the reciever but the woodwork denied the young Blues’ from scoring.

Josh Martin, also had a fine game. His best move was a tackle which prevented a sure goal and then got up to block another shot. A brilliant piece of defending.

The Addicks were coming back into it, but the score remained 0-1.

Viv Solomon-Otabor picked up where Duffy had left off in the first half. Two brilliant bursts up the wing almost led to chances for the Blues.

The equalizer came from a bit of magic. Munns fizzed a shot into the bottom corner, which left Doyle with no chance.

The game was getting a bit heated now. Webb was in the book for dissent, which isn’t good to see at any level.

The final stages were played in the Birmingham City half. Both Doyle and Martin throwing in blocks at any opportunity. Martin was really impressive.

Charlton had the chance to win it. With 7 minutes to go, the ball rolled to Ansah unmarked. Doyle and Gleeson both flung their bodies at the striker forcing him to panic and miss the target.

In terms of the performance, the Blues were the better side. But with 10 men, a draw is a really respectable result.

Please note: People will read your views on this article when you comment below! – we cannot retweet all of the tweets we are getting

Read More:

Clark Points To Player Mentality

What you think matters; as a BCFC supporter you can join the debate on our forum HERE

Unwell children need our help, you may need them one day! Support Birmingham Children`s Hospital, sponsor the site`s friend on her marathon, Click Here

For business enquires please click Here

Vital Birmingham on: facebook

Vital Birmingham on: twitter

Join Vital Birmingham

It’s easy to REGISTER HERE, simply click the link and enjoy getting involved!