Jonathan Grounds has said he has had a frustrating pre-season after being told he was not part of the manager’s plans.
Speaking after sealing a season-long loan move to Bolton Wanderers, the 30-year-old said it has been a tough six months after sustaining knee ligament damage against Sheffield Wednesday in February. He doesn’t feel he was given a chance to reclaim his place in the side under Garry Monk:
“It has been tough. I had a difficult back end to last season with an injury I had and never really got going again last year. The aim was to go into pre-season and really start afresh, but I never really got that opportunity. It took longer than I’d have like but six weeks on I have got that opportunity to start again.”
The general feeling is that Grounds’ wages probably played an important role in his departure from the club. In addition, it seems the current manager just wasn’t that keen on him. He has been a solid performer over the past four years, but after returning to fitness back in April, he only made one start in the 2-0 defeat to Wolves.
With Kristian Pedersen’s arrival, his days were always numbered. I do wish him well on his loan spell with the Trotters. Do you think we should have let the fullback leave? Let me know in the poll: