Date: 2nd November 2014 at 8:38am
Written by:

Birmingham City battled to earn themselves a point against Wolves who went top of the league for a few hours following the early kick off.

Gary Rowett took his side in a local derby for his first game in charge and his players stood up to be counted when it mattered most.

After some late battering from Wolves, Birmingham held on for what was a confidence boosting point for them moving forward. The home side were frustrated when they had a shout for a penalty turned down by the referee and as they failed to find a goal.

Wolves had the better of the opening exchanges, Randolph had to save a header from Leon Clarke and then Liam McAlinden’s low shot.

Birmingham grew into the game as the minutes ticket by. Cotterill’s cross found Shinnie who headed high and wide. A Freekick into the box fell to Koby Arthur who fired into the side netting.

Shortly after Clayton Donaldson hit his shot just wide of the right up right after David Davis battled for the ball in midfield and released the striker.

It was Wolves that would threaten again before the whistle. Henry’s corner met by Danny Batth but Blues managed to clear their lines.

HT Wolves 0-0 Birmingham

Birmingham continued to have their share of chances, Cotterill’s corner found Jonathan Grounds in the box and he forced a terrific save from Carl Ikeme.

Danger would find itself back in Blues box, though. Michael Morrison with a hugely important block on Edward’s shot to prevent a certain goal.

Koby Arthur was withdraw from the mix as he was now playing against Sako and simply couldn’t compete with his size at such a tender age. Brek Shea was his replacement.

Callum Reilly was then brought on for the tired Andrew Shinnie who had enjoyed a mixed performance in midfield.

Wolves then had a long spell of pressure, upping the tempo of the game. First a brilliant double save from Randolph. He could only palm Sako’s fizzing cross into the path of Edwards but was up to tip the header over the bar.

Dave Edwards then tried a terrific chip in the box but he was unlucky as it clipped the bar and went over. Shortly after, Sako’s low shot towards the back post goes wide and is also narrowly missed by the outstretched boot of Clarke.

Finally Donaldson was taken off after a slight knock and a difficult afternoon on his own up front. Wes Thomas game on to run the channels and try and hold the ball up field for Blues.

Randolph would again be forced into a save, this time with his legs from Henry. Sako ballooned his rebound effort over, a clear let off.

Finally in the dying moments Paul Caddis lunges in front of a Sako shot to deny him a certain goal and deny Wolves all three points.

FT Wolves 0-0 Blues